* And now, a journalist throws his shoes at the most powerful man in the world.
I am proud that my president was nimble enough to avoid the incoming projectiles. If he were truly awesome, he would have caught the shoes and thrown them back at the guy, caving in his skull. (I realize this is Chuck Norris-level butt whuppin’, but I can dream.)
* The old newsroom is like a petri dish at the moment. I’m hearing all kinds of coughing, hacking and wheezing. I’m fine for the moment, but I hope I can hold out without infection until the end of the week. I’m going back to Michigan for a week of vacation and family time, and if I’m going to be on my death bed, I want to take a sick day and get paid for it. (Highlander Producer Carol did.)
* On a Christmas shopping trip over the weekend, I stopped in the Dollar Store on a whim. They have far more than I recall. Awesome spot for wrapping paper and decorations. Oh, and gag gifts. Lots and lots of gag gifts.
* Andy says we’ll have subzero wind chills overnight. That will make tomorrow’s walk to work roughly akin to sitting through a Jimmy Buffett concert.
* GOP warned to embrace technology or face “suicide.” You’re telling me the party of ex-Senator Ted “Tubes” Stevens is scared of technology?
* Sen. John McCain says he won’t promise to back Sarah Palin for president in 2016. Where was this man during the election season? Was he abducted and replaced by a pod person?
* Speaking of Sarah Palin, her church burned down. Mysteriously. Maybe God is angry with her. Or maybe some guy just set it on fire. It will make a better story if God is angry at her.
* Which part of this story is weirder: that a 15-year-old girl tried to take a hit out on her father… or that she belonged to a clique that liked to suck each other’s blood?
* “The Dark Knight” and “WALL-E” made the American Film Institute’s list of Top 10 Films of 2008. I loved both. When I walked out of “WALL-E,” I was sure I had just seen a masterpiece.
* My Lions are 0-14. Awesome. I want to go 0-16, just so I can tell my kids I was there for rock bottom. Of course, the franchise’s history suggests my kids, and their kids, and their kids will be around for rock bottom, too. But 0-16 would be special.
Here’s how awful the Lions are: the 2009 team calendar has an ex-player on the cover.