* This morning, we uncovered some of Zoraida’s prom pictures…
Zoraida’s reaction? “knucklehead!! you coulda done better”
Executive Producer Wendy’s reaction? “That was a lot of fun! Thanks for the effort, Ben.”
Yes, perhaps I could have done better. But it should be noted that I photoshopped these while getting into a heated fight on the phone as I was running late for work. You try that and see how well it turns out. Seriously, though, if you want to photoshop Zoraida’s head on someone else’s body, e-mail it to me at email@example.com and we’ll put it on the air.
* I am relieved Chicago baseball is done for the year. This morning, Andy summed up the scene – “It’s safe to say our teams are pathetic.” So true, Andy. So true.
* With the collapse of the stock market, the White Sox loss, a new report on the nation’s surging stress, and a few death stories, Zoraida challenged me to show only happy news for the rest of the week. Hey, I’d love to. There just isn’t any going on. I could have included the story of the guy who couldn’t find work after being let go from two major accounting firms, so he killed his mother-in-law, wife, three sons and himself. But I didn’t. Restraint is the hallmark of a savvy journalist. (Not really, but that sounds like it could pass for a well-known phrase.)
* Today in the 5 a.m. show, we said we’d have “team coverage” of the economic meltdown. “Team” = Kim.
* Last night a friend and I ate at El Mariachi. I was heartily disappointed. Bland. I have yet to enjoy a good Mexican joint in the city.
* More good news: 1 in 4 mammals faces extinction. I volunteer to go first.
* Human evolution is over. For some, it never began.
* The world’s tallest man became a father this week. Said his wife, “Ow, my lady parts.”
* Almost half of U.S. workers do not respect their boss and only half believe they are competent. If you are a supervisor, carry that stat with you to work. One out of every two employees believes you are a moron.
* Tonight is the second presidential debate. Part of me wishes one or the other would just snap and start calling the other one names. I can dream…