But I’m still only feeling 40% of my normal self. As I wrote this morning, a song from B.B. King came over my iPod and encapuslated how I’ve felt this week. It’s called “All Over Again.” Here are the opening lyrics:
I’ve got a good mind to give up living, and go shopping instead
I say, I’ve got a good mind to give up living, and go shopping instead
To pick up me a tombstone, and be pronounced dead
Yeah, that’s how bad it got.
* If you’re wondering why I’m reluctant to leave the newsroom, it’s because bad news always befalls those who wander away. The only time Bruce Wolf took a vacation during production of “Barely Today,” the station pulled the plug. Now, as Dick Johnson enjoys a vacation somewhere, we learn he won’t be anchoring the show anymore. If I ever took a vacation, I think station executives would take a moment to look at each other and say, “Are we really expecting anyone to watch a newscast at 4:30 a.m.? And what are we paying this kid?” (The answers to those questions: “No” and “peanuts.”)
* So Rob and Zoraida will be my anchor team for the foreseeable future. I really enjoyed working with them on weekend mornings back in December, 2005. Then station management lured me away to the weekday mornings. A few months later, Zoraida followed, and now Rob’s here. Deja vu all over again.
* To make up for her extraordinary BenFlix late fees for keeping “The Shawshank Redemption” for a good four months, Zoraida brought me a 45 oz. bag of peanut M&Ms. And I got a lovely card, emblazoned with a “Z.” How cool would it be to have the letter Z as your initial? You’d be perfectly justified stealing Zorro’s thunder.
* Sorry, little girl trying to send a letter to your dead mother, you got the address to heaven wrong. And you owe postage.
* Though I should spend my weekend continuing my recovery, I have a friend in Michigan celebrating a birthday Saturday night. I think he’d like nothing less than a lengthy bout with bronchitis, so I’m going to wrap a bow around my head and cough all over him. That’s if I survive the drive. Enjoy your weekend, y’all.