* Mass technical chaos sapped me of my will to blog yesterday. Please direct your comments to HAL-9000.
* Today we got video into the newsroom of a naked man escaping a fire on the South Side. As soon as it got popped in the tape deck, every woman in the newsroom ran over like Marion Jones after a fresh dose. Highlander Producer Carol shouted “Is he cute?” as she shoved away from the desk.
As the girls surrounded the monitor, they giggled and joked about pixelating the video for use in the show.
I shook my head and pondered the obvious double-standard. If this were a naked woman scrambling for her life, everyone would think it was horrible and we’d never use the video. But a naked man? Let’s zoom in and run it on an endless loop for two and a half hours!
Men’s naked bodies are not objects, no matter what the newsroom coven chooses to believe. (Never did hear if Carol thought he was cute or not.)
* Hey Chicago, congrats on resigning Rex Grossman. Who’s making the personnel decisions for the Bears? A naked guy escaping a fire?
* USA Today informs us that students are becoming less able to recall facts they should all know. But on a positive note, 97% could identify Martin Luther King Jr. as author of the “I Have a Dream” speech.
I really want to read the answers of that other 3%. I bet they’re hilarious.
* Some male spiders play dead for sex. That’s new. I’m going to have a friend draw a chalk outline around my body at the bar this weekend and see how that works.
* Someone who makes way more money than me decided it would be a good idea for NBC to buy a show you can see for free on MySpace, then let it premiere on MTV, then air it in primetime. The result? Our network’s lowest ratings in that timeslot in 17 years. Who’s programming our network? A naked guy escaping a fire?