* Today, I believe, was the first day of 2008 that didn’t completely suck. Let me count the ways:
1) One of our writers made us chocolate chip cookies.
* One of our female producers asserted today that men don’t write well. I direct her to the NBC5 men’s room wall, where many a clever limerick has been scrawled.
* I’m told there will be a meeting about my blog after the show today. By “meeting,” I assume they mean “lynch mob.” It was nice being employed.
* Monday afternoon, NBC5 switches over to high definition. Good news for those of you who want to examine the pores of our anchors. Yet one more reason I’m glad I’m behind the scenes.
* I love this story about the German boss who fired all his non-smoking employees. Says the boss, “I can’t be bothered with trouble-makers. We’re on the phone all the time and it’s just easier to work while smoking. Everyone picks on smokers these days. It’s time for revenge. I’m only going to hire smokers from now on.”
I think smoking is slightly more socially acceptable than public executions, but that story is hysterical.
* Today, Dick Johnson asked me if I was taking my pants off this weekend.
Okay, that was out of context.
Tomorrow, subways all over the country will be packed with people without pants. (Info here.) This would be approximately the 43rd least crazy thing I’ve seen on the Red Line.
* My good friend Bruce Wolf is leaving the NBC5 family. I’m proud to have produced what Rober Feder called “a noble but unsuccessful experiment.” I want that quote as my epitaph.
* Since you’re undoubtedly bored with the spate of reality programming being shoved down your throats, I provide you the following opportunities to see some live comedy:
Yours truly performs with Whiskey Rebellion at the i.O. Theater (3541 N. Clark)…
+ Tuesday, January 22 @ 10:30 p.m. (downstairs) $1-6
+ Wednesday, January 30 @ 10:30 p.m. (upstairs) $5
+ Thursday, February 7 @ 10:30 p.m. (upstairs) $5
+ Wednesday, February 13 @ 10:30 p.m. (upstairs) $5
+ Thursday, February 21 @ 8:00 p.m. (downstairs) $12
+ Tuesday, February 26 @ 8:00 p.m. (downstairs) $12
* In other news, I could take 16 5-year-olds in a fight. Take this quiz and share your number in the comments.